Digging Volleyball

The Volleyball season is up and running and the players are pumped and excited. Returning Varsity Volleyball players welcomed new players to the team like Sophomores Charda Ward and Jada Perrin. Charda said, “The season is fun right now, everyone is getting along and the team and coaches are happy. But, our team needs to try and work harder, so we can win more.” According to Jada, “The season will get better. But, only if we want to improve. I’m excited!” Every season has a main goal, and that goal is the playoffs. Charda says, “The playoffs are most definitely in our heads. I wouldn’t say that it’s our main priority to be worried about, but it’s a possibility!” 
In the future Charda wants to accept the responsibility as a leader. She says, “I will love to become a leader or captain of the volleyball team, mostly because I enjoy playing the sport and being committed to it. Also, my coaches like my attitude and the leadership I show in practice and in games.”  The Assistant Coach of the Varsity Volleyball team is Math Teacher Ms. Nicole Ward. She says, “I wanted to coach at Messmer because I love working with the students and felt like I could give back in more than one way. I have always been athletic and I love sports, so being a positive role model in a sport is the perfect setting for me to do that.” 
Ms. Ward has been a coach before, coaching basketball for two years at University School of Milwaukee from 2009-2011.  “When I was fortunate enough to get a Math teaching job at Messmer High School, I decided that I wanted to focus on my first year teaching instead of trying to do too much at one time.  Now I have decided that I am organized enough to do both.”
The Varsity players enjoy each others' company and always have a little fun in the locker room before the game. Ms. Ward says, “I love working with the team because the Varsity all seem to blend well together and make it a pleasurable experience each and every time we step on the court. At this point we have created our own inspirational time before every game called ‘Wards of Wisdom’ where I tell the team an inspirational quote along with an explanation of the quote and how it pertains to our team. They all seem to love it. I feel like it’s starting to really pay off.”
Ms. Ward thinks that the team needs to focus on the future, one game at a time so they do not get ahead of themselves.  Also she says, “We would love it if the school would show their support for our home games and would be greatly appreciative if they came out to cheer us on so we could have true home court advantage."
Ms. Ward adds, "Also, on October 2nd we are having our Annual 'Dig Pink' game, which raises money for breast cancer and we are trying to have a 'Pack the House' night for the occasion. If you and/or your class could get the word out that would fantastic!”

--Contributed by Sophomore Cylus Hunter