My Bishop Journey

I was walking around complaining about school one day so my Broadcast Media teacher encouraged me to do some research. She felt I was taking my school for granted. Here is what I found out.
Over it’s 87 years of existence, Messmer has been known as an extremely good and successful educational foundation.  Messmer is a great school that pushes students to further success in life. Messmer is one of the top schools in the urban Milwaukee area with a graduation rate of 95%. 
According to Guidance Counselor Ms. Lora DeFranco, out of this, at least 85% attend college. With approximately 700 students, this is extremely impressive. Alumni Isaiah Ali, class of 2012, said, “I admit Messmer was a huge challenge for me, but honestly it paid off in the end.” This is a part of school that many students who attend Messmer now have a hard time grasping. Messmer challenges students in ways which we never think we will need later in life. Sayvon Friend, class of 2012, said, “After Messmer, I felt proud of myself because I knew all the hard work and effort I put into it each day finally paid off.” 
Messmer is supported by many in the Milwaukee community because they all know the opportunities that come with attending Messmer High School. Students have varied opinions about Messmer. Alumni Radonte Ashford, 2012, said “I didn't like Messmer because I felt the teachers were too strict and I was not learning anything, but later due to some of my teachers and friends I realized that they cared about me and my success.” 
Messmer teachers and staff do everything possible to make sure the learning environment is excellent. In some cases, this environment is taken for granted but overall Messmer is a great school for those who allow it to be.  
After doing this article I now appreciate my parents pushing me to go to Messmer, and I look forward to my continuing journey as a Messmer Bishop.

--Contributed by junior Ishmael Ali